ALS was requested by an operator in Egypt to conduct full audits on multiple ESP manufacturing centres to rank the suppliers in order of their ability to support the operator sufficiently. Six (6) ESP supply companies / distributors were audited in the same manner and without bias, and each supplier’s capabilities and deficiencies were identified and recorded. The ALS consultant worked with the operator’s audit team to perform each audit over a period of 3 days, and evaluate each of the categories identified below. The results were then summarized, placed into final report and final presentation format, and provided to the operator, with the associated recommendations.
- Motor manufacturing, assembly & test
- Protector / Seal manufacturing, assembly & test
- Pump manufacturing, assembly & test
- Gas separator manufacturing & assembly
- Cable splicing (including MLE / pothead where available
- Remanufactured components, manufacturing & test
- Dismantle, inspection and failure analysis (DIFA)
- Order entry, bill of materials, routing
- General manufacturing processes
- Health, Safety, and Environmental processes and adherences
Only one of the six suppliers evaluated was found to be qualified to support the operator. The audits of the other five suppliers revealed significant deficiencies that would increase the risk of the operator and almost certainly increase the operator’s costs due to decreased runlives.
It was recommended that the operator only use the services of the supplier that the audit found to be qualified, and to focus on continuous improvement. Each of the suppliers were notified of their non-conformances and the other observations that were identified during the audit, with the goal of helping them to improve their services and become qualified. Additionally, it was recommended that a follow-up audit be conducted after the unqualified suppliers had time to address the deficiencies, in order to re-evaluate whether the suppliers would be fit to provide support to the operator.